Re: Fw: clutch rebuilding

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: clutch rebuilding
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 11:33:12 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/00 1:45:08 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:

<<  Thats what scatter shields are for aren't they?  At the RPM that most
 > production engines turn is truely vintage form, a standard Borg and Beck
 > diaphragm clutch is not prone to "blow up failure," at least as far as the
 > pressure plate is concerned.  The later discs with the non-asbestos lining
 > do tend to shed the linning, but the earlier linings were good for in
 excess
 > of 7,000 rpm in the 8 1/2 " diameter.  I think that to many of these "so
 > called" safety modifications are really performance enhancements.  Vented
 > brake rotors in cars that never had them, Tube shock on cars that had
 > levers, wheels far wider than were ever legal, gutted interiors to reduce
 > the "fire hazard" etc.  I do advocate alloy flywheels, they were legal by
 > 1967 i believe.
 >                  >>
I built and raced MGAs and MGBs for E and F production in the 60s and 70s.
We fastened plate scattershields to the bell housing, as the GCR required.  A
dragracing flexible scattershield was also allowed.  I never had or heard of
a smallbore clutch coming sideways through the tunnel, though I saw an Alpine
blow the clutch out the bottom of the bellhousing and scatter vital bits and
fluid all over Blackhawk's main straight.

Support The Easley Grand Prix
Benefiting the American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis
October 21-22
Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group
Creative Communications Services
765-886-5098
public relations and advertising services