Re: Fw: clutch rebuilding

To: lwdent <lwdent@fwi.com>, Tombread@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fw: clutch rebuilding
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:18:35 -0400
If the flywheel bolts had sheared, then you were experiencing the ultimate
in the performance improvement related to low flywheel and clutch weight -
you now know how fast an engine can rev up with the theoretical minimum of
rotating mass!

Since the flywheel had parted company with the crank, it didn't experience
those high revs.  It was just riding along on the input shaft of the gearbox.

Brian

At 06:22 PM 10/14/00 -0400, lwdent wrote:
>I would be the last person to PO PO the value of a scattershield with a
>stock flywheel and clutch BUT,
>
>I recently sheared the flywheel bolts on my Sports 2000 at Road America.
>
>I did not understand what was happening, thought I had a hand full of
>neutrals in the gear box, so I bleeped the throttle about 5 or 6 times
>before i realized that each time the engine was pegging the tach at
>10,000.  God only knows how high the engine, and stock clutch and
>flywheel, were turning, but NO BLOW.
>
>In fact it seems the only damage was to the bolts that sheared.
>
>Ted Wentz, builder of the engine, says replace the valve springs and rod
>bolts and keep on trucking, since the engine has only 2 races from a
>factory major.
>
>INTERESTING?????

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts