Re: clutch rebuilding

To: "Greg Solow" <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>, <JWoesvra@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: clutch rebuilding
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:26:58 -0400
The Martin/Ford engine that was in my Merlyn had a 7.25 inch clutch in
1966.  To be sure, it was described in the invoice (which I also have,
believe it or not) as a Porche clutch of some type, but it is (I still have
the original clutch as well, the PO's for this car kept everything!) a bolt
in match for the Quartermaster clutch of essentially identical design now
on that engine.  Bolt circle is the same, it has a "thick slotted ring"
(quote from the invoice) to space the pressure plate off the flywheel,
etc.  The only significant difference is that it used an organic type disc,
so that I had to machine a .100" step in the flywheel to accommodate the
thin metallic disc that the Quartermaster clutch uses and I think it has a
pressure disc to actuate the spring fingers, while the Quartermaster has
the throw-out bearing act directly on the spring fingers.

Now, this was a single plate clutch, to be sure, but I found this all very
interesting...

Brian

At 02:07 AM 10/13/00 -0400, Greg Solow wrote:
>Gee, I always thought that a small diameter multiplate clutch only became
>available in the last 15 years or so .  To my way of thinking that makes it
>fit the perfect description of a "non-vintage" modification akin to roller
>rocker arms or a belt drive conversion on a BMC "A' series engine.  If I
>remember correctly, the SCCA rules thoughout the 60s and 70s required the
>use of a clutch of standard diameter and type of construction in all
>production cars.
>                                                                     Regards,
>Greg Solow
>
>The Engine Room