Re: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 07:38:41 -0500
Don Kline wrote:

>One year a 100%er
>(Lindsey Lowe????) entered but his entry was lost in the mail
and he was
>denied entry to the competition.

That's very unfortunate, but it didn't occur because the event
had reached an entry cap. That was the gist of my statement:
that, so far, the event hasn't been too big to allow anyone who
wanted to enter a spot in the competition.

>I don't feel attendance is a "criteria" for being informed.
There are the
>articles in SportsCar, and all the info (good and bad) in this
forum.

If you're not participating _at_all_ in the sport, I don't think
it is appropriate to make rude public pronouncements like "any
bozo can compete." A rational discussion of the sport's present
state and future development can include those who aren't
currently competing - assuming they're civil - but I would always
give greater weight to the thoughts of those who are entering
events and competing.

>Judge??? Most people aren't in that position but each should be
encouraged
>to contribute ideas and let the SEB "judge".

The individual to whom I was responding was most definitely
passing judgement.

>Again the participation thing.  Many of us have gone thru
periods of "less"
>activity.

I'm presently going through one myself. Hopefully, it will only
affect this season. However, if I wind up not running _at_all_
for ten+ years, I definitely won't be in a position to speak
intelligently about the contemporary state of the sport. And I
won't be making any sweeping pronouncements on team.net if that
happens.

>After my first National I sent
>a letter about the course designs at the event.  A person from
Chicago
>reasoned that since I'd had such a poor finish my comments
unworthy of
>consideration, and that I'd probably never return.

That is not my attitude. I asked Mr. Barber to point out recent
Solo events of any sort (and at any level) in which he had
competed. His finishing position was of no concern to me. If
you're participating, you have current experience with the sport
and its administration. Otherwise, you don't. That's not a
controversial statement, it's a simple fact.

>Each person at national whether being capable of winning or not
should be
>there.

I agree fully.

>And as a last note how many winners have said "I won but half of
the
>people there should have never been allowed to show up"

I know of none.

>Like
>Eric L. said, if too many come make it 6 days.....

If that's logistically feasible, I'm in favor of it. There has
been an entry cap for 2-3 years now, but so far it hasn't been
reached.

Jay