Re: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: UD/BD Explained (was Fastrack)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 09:59:19 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> If you folks are happy to go to a "National Championship" where any bozo
> can
> compete, then more power to you.  I think it destroys some of the prestige
> of the event.
=======================================
Why does this bother you, Hugh?  If you are one of the top level drivers who
will trophy in or win a class what do you have to fear from the "little
guy"?  Is that little guy, or gal, suddenly going to have the run of their
life and beat everyone in one fell swoop?  It's doubtful, bit it could
happen.  Any given Sunday and all that.  Besides, more entries in a class
means more trophies for the top level, or just extremely lucky, drivers.

>Would the Olympics have the prestige they currently enjoy
> if anybody could just show up and compete?
=====================================
Uhh, actually that's exactly how an "amateur" event like the Olympics _is_
run.  The fact that nations hold tryouts to pick their best athletes only
means they really, really want to win.  What if no American wanted to enter
the ping-pong, er, table tennis events?  Should the United States Olympic
Committee deny the American entry slot to Mr. Average Joe who plays every
weekend in his buddy's basement, while drinking copious amounts of beer of
course?  No, they sure as heck shouldn't disallow him to participate.
That's the nature of "amateur" events.

The Jamaicain bobsled team is a perfect example.  Since when has bobsledding
ever been even a remote sport possibility in Jamaica?  And did you actually
see those guys?

"Here comes the German team.  Perfect form, heads all in a row and their
bodies down tight next to each other moving in perfect unison with the
Captain."  "Now here comes the Jamaican team.  Just look at their heads
bobbing every which way.  Why is that guy's arm hanging out?  What's that
strange smoke coming from inside of their sled?"

Should the Government Association for the Nomination of Jamaican Athletes
(GANJA) have denied their request to be the Official Jamaican bobsled team?
No!  At least they came and played.  Who knows, if the buds had all lined up
right they might just have won.

A great majority of us in the SCCA are exactly like that Jamaican bobsled
team.  Second tier drivers, at best.  Because of that should we not be
allowed to enter the National Championships?  No, that's crazy and elitist.

Eric Linnhoff
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
Mark Twain