RE: Solo Entry Fees

To: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>,
Subject: RE: Solo Entry Fees
From: "Jeff Lloyd" <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 23:26:27 -0500
My personal opinion is that part of the reason you have mostly members (you
said 80%)
is because the discounted rate offset the cost of membership.

There are  of folks (at least here) where a local autocross is all they are
intrested in
(at this moment in time)
and without the discounted rate they really have no incentive to join

The way I tell newbees (we have close to 20 autocrosses each year<between
summer and winter series>
if someone runs only 1/2 of our events they still offset their
cost of membership AND get a nifty magazine), which in turn introduces them
to the other aspects of SCCA life, and hopefully moves them on to more
activities
or makes them feel like part of the "team" not just a customer
and then they are more willing to help out with event duties

(that is how they hooked me :-)(now I want to club rally)

we have been charging 15/20 for as long as I can remember and we are cheap
some regions need to charge 30/35 that pull from our same customer base

although our region (in recent years) has not been loosing money on solo2
lot rentals are constantly rising and lots are at a premimum, we need to be
prepaired
for what *may* happen.

the fact that we have the best group of people and top notch equipment
and we add much value to the autocrossing experence (hot food for sale,
good locations, series sponsorships (with prizes), music, allways helpful
staff.
it's more like a day event for the family instead of a bunch of guys
sweating on a hot sticky lot
waiting for their 3 minuits of driving.

this still does not protect us from the ever lurking (liability fears)
and loss of lots

Jeff