Solo Entry Fees

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solo Entry Fees
From: "Loren Williams" <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:15:19 -0600
<solo chairman hat>

Out here in Wichita Region, we're looking at the possibility (almost necessity)
of raising our entry fees.  Currently we charge $10 for members and $15 for
non-members for regular events. ($5 more for events at our one site that charges
a lot rental)  Our rates have been the same for many years, with the question of
raising them being mentioned almost every year since I got involved 5 years ago.
This year, our Solo program barely broke even. (in fact, I blew my budget by
$160)  Next year, I want to be able to afford equipment purchases and repairs
that we all want while staying well within a budget.

We have many options.  My favorites are the simplest ($5 increments, easy on the
Registrar), and give the best results:

Option 1:  Raise to $15/20 for all events. (absorbing the cost of the lot rental
into the overall budget)  $20 seems awfully steep for an entry fee, remember,
this is Kansas... cost of living is pretty cheap.  This option gives us a $2100
budget surplus.

Option 2:  Raise to $15 for all comers at all events. (absorbing the cost of the
lot rental into the overall budget, and not gouging non-members)  Given that our
total entry generally consists of about 20% non-members, we don't lose much by
doing this.  This option gives us a $1700 budget surplus.

Our board of directors seems to be inclined towards sticking with their
traditional policy of "non-member fees must be higher than member fees".
Getting Option 1 past them probably wouldn't be too difficult with the given
budget.  I'd like to find some justification/argument to support a $15/all entry
fee.

What are other regions/clubs doing?  Is there any good philosophy behind why
you're doing it?

</solo chairman hat>

--
Loren Williams  | Loren@kscable.com