Re: Poor dash lighting

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>, "'Dale'" <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Poor dash lighting
From: "Don Becker" <dr.becker@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:17:56 -0800
Dale,

Hugh is right. 14.4 Watts is probably way too much heat to dissipate in such
a small housing. I guarantee the gauges wouldn't last very long...the 1.2
Amps flowing through the bulb contacts combined with the heat of the
filament would cause thermal runaway. Might work OK in Nome or some cold
climate but not in Phoenix. Over time the heat will cause premature
aging/failure.

I've installed green acetate (from an arts supply store) in the burned out
domes in 2 of my gauges and it seems to render the same original color.
However, the brightness of the illuminated gauges is still not suitable for
me. Rather than add more power and  heat, I would be inclined to experiment
with bright LED's (perhaps clear units). These are much more efficient than
incandescent filaments.

Anyone out there seen a drop in replacement? If not, I'll investigate
designing a SSB (solid state bulb)  for TR6's.

Don
'74 Mallard Blue