Re: Poor dash lighting

To: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>,
Subject: Re: Poor dash lighting
From: "Don Becker" <dr.becker@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:53:09 -0800
Steve / Hugh,

Thanks for the links...I will investigate and report on my findings at some
point after testing various LED schemes.
Just brainstorming...I might try clear brights and disperse through the
green dome, however I don't believe the dome will disperse very well
(because most clear LED's are narrow viewing angle) Another test will be to
try super bright green's (wide angle, 135 degree type) without the dome. In
this case some sort of dispersing lens may help to spread the light more
evenly. Once I get into testing other ideas may pop up but what Hugh
mentioned is correct: The original lighting scheme is deficient to put it
politely.
But, there is hope...Some of todays LED's are pretty bright with as little
as 20-50 mA. Keep in mind that incadesents are only 15% efficient. (85%
heat) LED's on the otherhand are very efficient with lifespan of 11,000
hours or more. Next time you drive up to a stop light check the light
closely. More than likely the lights have been converted to LED's as
distinguished by the small dot appearance. With most intersections having at
least 16 lights on (in Phoenix) at any given time this means a huge savings
in power and maintenance. The incandescents bulbs were 500Watt units
equaling a total of 8000Watts per intersection!! I don't know what the power
rating of the LED unit is but probably just a mere fraction. In the Phoenix
area most intersections have been converted in all three colors. Even city
buses are now using LED lights...this could go on and on but I'll stop for
now!!

Don
'74 Mallard Blue