RE: Poor dash lighting

To: "'Dale'" <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>, "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: Poor dash lighting
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 18:55:58 -0500
Hi Dale.

Generally, the brighter the bulb the more heat it will be dissipating. So
the rheostat could help with a too hot bulb provided that you keep it turned
down. Then the rheostat will dissipate some of the heat. The real problem
seems not to be the bulbs, but the design of the instruments.

Oh! 14.4 Volts, not 14.4 Watts. Big difference. Prepare from some (pretty
simple) math.

Watts = Volts X Amps, so your bulbs are 14.4 Volts X 0.1 Amps or 1.44 Watts.
These may be dimmer than the 2.2 Watt stock bulbs. I'm not sure what the
voltage rating is on them so can't be sure.

Note that Watts basically mean energy dissipation or power. Higher means
hotter. Watts are just different units for the same thing as horsepower.
Sometimes engines are rated in kW.

Hope this is helpful.

- Hugh