Re: Poor dash lighting

To: <OkgobeatsaII@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Poor dash lighting
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:40:03 -0000
Brandon Avery wrote:
       i am an 18 year old college student in texas. i recently cleaned out
my garage and found the family dormant triumph under the endless pile of
junk. with help from a british car shop, i restored it and it is now in
great
condition. i was awarded this terrific find in the form of a christmas
present.
       Here is my question. Is there any way to increase the lighting power
in the dash instruments, or is that another great quality we can credit to
the great lucas electronics? thanks everyone for your help.

Brandon
Going back to the days when Triumphs were new, lighting quality on secondary
instrumentation was less than ideal - and that was when everything was clean
and new and the rheostat was turned to full power!
By now, your instruments will have blackened bulbs and dirty glasses on the
inside. The plastic window on top of the instrument through which the light
shines may also have yellowed as well? I cleaned this (a bit) with warm
soapy water and a cotton bud. I've refurbished all the instruments on both
my Triumph saloons with higher power bulbs 10 watts instead of 5 watts,
cleaned the inside of the glasses and replaced the 'O' rings between the
bezel and instrument itself.
I now have brighter secondary instrument lighting (which still casts shadows
as it always did) but the 'power' of the "black lighting" for speedo and rev
counter is outstanding. Well worth the effort.

Jonmac