newsletters

Re: Newsletter Layout?

To: Harald Freise <hfreise@fox.nstn.ca>
Subject: Re: Newsletter Layout?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:12:01 -0400
Hi Harold,

At 10:17 AM 5/6/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I do up the newsletter for the Eastern Canada Lotus Club and have done
>so for the past three years. I spend way too much time but I enjoy it.

It's nice to bring Lotus Happiness to others, isn't it?  :)

>I sometimes use a word processor but find that images are better handled
>using the only tool that I have any real long time experience with.
>Ventura Publisher. I've dallied with Framemaker and Pagemaker but always
>database publishing, which Ventura handles very well.

On my old DOS 8086 computer I used Ventura also.   Been years....

>I print out each page separately and then take them to the local
>photocopy place and have them double side it. Less mailing cost and
>paper usage. Takes a little more thought about which is a right and left
>page when you leave room for a 3 hole punch.

Most printers can easily program their copiers or presses to automatically
shift the image to allow for the holes (or binding, if the sheets are
double stapled on the LH edge).

>I have recently lightened my load considerably by distributing our
>newsletter via e-mail using Adobe Acrobat. Very easy to use once you've
>finished the layout. This method save tons of time and keeps more
>dollars in the club treasury. To view the newsletter you need to
>download the free Acrobat Reader software and install it on our machine.

Did you have to pay for Adobe in order to write your newsletter for it?
What's the percentage of readers using the electronic mailing? (I was
really impressed with the [Adobe format] Pektron article BTW, both content
and layout.)

Atwell Haines
NJ Triumph Assn
Succasunna, NJ USA