newsletters

Re: Newsletter Layout?

To: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject: Re: Newsletter Layout?
From: Eriks Skinkis <eriks@netspace.net.au>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 11:38:42 +1000
Hi Paul,

I've been the Editor for the Sprite Car Club of Australia for the last 4
years and will probably continue next year as well when our club magazine
celebrates its 30th birthday and our club celebrates its 40th birthday. I'm
already starting to think about appropriate anniversary editions.

I use Word 97 to produce our monthly club magazine in A4 magazine style
format of 24 pages. I have investigated several possibilites at moving to an
A5 sized format like you are using. The easiest way to do so with Word would
be to make up your master copy pages full A4 sized. You then sort your pages
and tape your pairs of pages together to make an A3 sized layout, then do an
A3 to A4 reduction on your photocopier when you do your final photocopying.

I have also tried MS Publisher and Adobe Pagemaker at work, these will print
directly in magazine double page format and allow you to make more complex
page layouts, but are slower to work with because of the more rigid page
layouts and cost more than Word.

For the time being I'll be sticking with Word and the A4 page magazine style
format as there's less hassle. I get my A4 pages copied onto A3 paper,
folded and saddle stapled with a yellow coloured cover (our club colour) and
this looks quite smart. Besides if you take a look at your local newsagent,
all the professional magazines are A4 sized anyway. The cost of having our
magazines commercially copied and stapled is costed into our clubs
membership fees.

The 200 magazines are then stuffed into envelopes at our monthly committee
meeting and with several people doesn't take long at all.

Our club has the same issue as you of not having reserve funds for
purchasing extra software, however if we decided we needed to upgrade or
purchase extra software we would organise some fundraising activities such
as raffles, chocolate sales etc...

Hope I've given you some helpful ideas.

Cheers,
Eriks Skinkis.