newsletters

Re: Newsletter Layout?

To: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject: Re: Newsletter Layout?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 09:24:41 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Speaking for my own club newsletter, The New England Triumph, Pagemaker is
used. There's a _lot_ of setup work, but once you get everything
"defined", things go together pretty quickly.

FWIW, it used to take something like 20 hours per month to assemble,
scan, spell check, grammar check, print draft, proof, edit/repair and
re-print. Now I average about 10 hours per month, more or less.

I achieved the reduction in time spent by investing a bit of time
creating some style sheets and that sort of thing. Pays big dividends in
the long run.

There are other ways to do this, several of the newsletters that I see
monthly appear to be done in Word or some other word processor. There's
no problem with using those tools, but a program like Pagemaker or Quark
will give you almost total control over layout.

And, as a by the way, I'm using ancient hardware/software... Pagemaker
4.2 and a Mac CI... basically stuff that is more than 5 years old. But it
works!

rml
Editor, the New England Triumph
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |