Re: Manuals

To: hillman@bigpond.com, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Manuals
From: Lar Kaufman <lark@world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:39:52 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks, Stuart, you've given a good description that will help me
get my resources together. I wanted to know how both of Hardcastle's books
compared/overlapped, without having to buy them unseen.  I had thought
that a specialty automotive bookseller would be able to assist, but hadn't
been able to locate one on-line (there are none locally, though Robert
Bentley publishes in Cambridge, Massachusetts) with the comparisons I
needed.

I'm sure I'll also need detailed factory manuals, hopefully those of
Buick, Oldsmobile, and at least Rover.  I did some preliminary research
and located a number of articles in technical journals about the BOP engine,
which was quite innovative when it was introduced, so got written up in
metalurgical publications as well as engineering and automotive technological
journals... This kind of data will help me determine what I can do in
terms of shot peening, heat treating/pickling, etc. to maximize strength
and stability of the block, etc.  And I'm counting on Hardcastle and later
articles on racing/hotrodding etc. to tell me where the weaknesses are,
what tricks and practical substitutions can be made to optimize the
performance, etc.

When I've collected the resources, read the articles, etc. I'll digest it
into a sort of bibliography for the list.

 -lar
"We, too, who look upon the loom are deafened; and only when we escape it
shall we hear the thousand voices that speak through it....  Ah, mortal!
then, be heedful; for so, in all this din of the great world's loom, thy
subtlest thinkings may be overheard afar."  - Herman Melville, _Moby Dick_