Re: Manuals

To: "Lar Kaufman" <lark@world.std.com>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manuals
From: "The Becketts" <hillman@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 19:13:49 +1000
Lar Kaufman wrote:

>I've encountered a series of obstacles getting manuals for the 215.

Ahh, the bookshop that one of my colleagues picked up my Range Rover manuals
from in London does have a web address - now I wonder if I can find their
card.

>And can someone tell me whether I want "Tuning Rover
>V8 Engines" or  "The Rover V8 Engine", or both, and why?

I'd like to know, too.

>Is "Holden Improved Performance L6 and V8 Engines", a Holden publication,
>a viable resource for the Holden version of the Rover V8? If it covers
>the engine, does it do it well?  Oh, and what's the exchange rate from
>US to Aussy dollars now?

The Holden V6 is, I believe the Buick V6 configured fro rear wheel drive
(large GM and Ford cars in Australia are still rear wheel drive).  The V8 is
an Aussie design but I'm not sure if it has any links to the Rover/Buick -
it is probably closer to the small block Chev.
Exchange rate A$1 = US$0.66

>What is a "typical Brooklands publication": that is, are the Brooklands
>volumes technical or (as I fear) collections of magazine articles on
>a particular make or model of vehicle?

The only ones I've seen are, as you say, reprints of magazine articles.

>Should I get a workshop manual for "Rover 3 and 3.5 Litre Saloon and
>Coupe", "Rover 3500 SE", "Rover SD1 1976-78", or some other workshop
>manual (including Triumph or other variations)?

You could try a Haynes manual.  You don't say whether you are in the USA - I
assume so because of the reference to Chiltons.  If so, Haynes are available
over there.  A Haynes Range Rover manual is another option.

> . . . And now for something completely different.  Someone on this list
>suggested using a Datsun 510 rearend to handle Rover power in a, um,
>Spitfire conversion?

What is a Datsun 510?  Obviously sold under a different name down here in
Australia.

Ron Beckett
'86 Range Rover 4.6L

Webmaster & Database Manager Hillman Owners Club of Australia
http://www.hillman.org.au
Editor, Land Rover Owners Club of Australia (Sydney Branch)
http://www.localnet.com.au/~lroc
Personal web site http://www.users.bigpond.com/hillman