Manuals

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Manuals
From: Lar Kaufman <lark@world.std.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:08:20 -0400 (EDT)
I've encountered a series of obstacles getting manuals for the 215.  I do
have a Chilton master manual that documents the '61 BOP engine sufficiently
for gross maintenance.  I tried to track down the Hardcastle books, but
apparently they've been sold to the UK division of a U.S. publisher whose
name I forget at the moment; the website I was referred to only came up
with an "under construction" notice...

And can someone tell me whether I want "Tuning Rover V8 Engines" or
"The Rover V8 Engine", or both, and why?

I want enough documentation to span the various configurations of the
engine, so I looked further.  Curiously, it seems that if you want to
buy from an online automotive bookstore, Australia is where you have
to go.  (Obviously the guys at Amazon.com would be clueless as to the
contents of an automotive volume.  I tried to find that great automotive
bookstore in London that I had visited, but apparently they aren't online
yet...)  So I need some info about some volumes I ran across, if y'all can
help me.

Is "Holden Improved Performance L6 and V8 Engines", a Holden publication,
a viable resource for the Holden version of the Rover V8? If it covers
the engine, does it do it well?  Oh, and what's the exchange rate from
US to Aussy dollars now?

What is a "typical Brooklands publication": that is, are the Brooklands
volumes technical or (as I fear) collections of magazine articles on
a particular make or model of vehicle?

Should I get a workshop manual for "Rover 3 and 3.5 Litre Saloon and
Coupe", "Rover 3500 SE", "Rover SD1 1976-78", or some other workshop
manual (including Triumph or other variations)?

 . . . And now for something completely different.  Someone on this list
suggested using a Datsun 510 rearend to handle Rover power in a, um,
Spitfire conversion?  I ran across an article recently in Import Tuner
or perhaps Turbo magazine commenting that the rear differential of the
Subaru Impreza is a drop-in replacement for the 510 rearend.  This would
make it also a drop-in replacement for the Datsun Roadster and Z cars'
rearends as well, if I remember correctly.  And it should be durable enough
to handle V8 power, and it incorporates a sophisticated torque-biasing
limited slip.  Note: in Impreza WRX form, the Subaru 2.5L turbo reportedly
puts out an estimated 680hp in competition form, of which 70 percent is
directed to the rear wheels (except when Colin Macrae (sp?) knocks off an
axle and has to gimp around on three wheels, of course).

Thanks for any advice,

 -lar

"We, too, who look upon the loom are deafened; and only when we escape it
shall we hear the thousand voices that speak through it....  Ah, mortal!
then, be heedful; for so, in all this din of the great world's loom, thy
subtlest thinkings may be overheard afar."  - Herman Melville, _Moby Dick_