Re: Manuals

To: Lar Kaufman <lark@world.std.com>
Subject: Re: Manuals
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:56:05 -0500 (CDT)
amazon.com (not amazon.co.uk) shows _Tuning_ in stock, and the other
available from a few other sources.  I believe Haynes owns the rights to
both.  _The Rover V8_ is primarily a history, describing the origins of
the engine, applications, etc.  _Tuning_ focuses more on the differences
between variants of the block from a technological viewpoint, and surveys
various modifications one might want to consider when making a racing
engine.  It is strictly a theory book, however, as it doesn't really go
into specifics as to what sort of performance boost such and such a
modification or choice of component might make, but it does tell you what
is out there and what has been done.

The history book is interesting, but not really practical.  The tuning
book is good for telling you what standard tuning techniques apply to the
Rover V8, but it's not a shop manual.  It also makes the assumption that
you are familiar with building engines, and only tells you what you might
want to do, not how to do it.

Both make for interesting reads.  They should not be your only reference,
however.

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Lar Kaufman wrote:

> I've encountered a series of obstacles getting manuals for the 215.  I do
> have a Chilton master manual that documents the '61 BOP engine sufficiently
> for gross maintenance.  I tried to track down the Hardcastle books, but
> apparently they've been sold to the UK division of a U.S. publisher whose
> name I forget at the moment; the website I was referred to only came up
> with an "under construction" notice...
>
> And can someone tell me whether I want "Tuning Rover V8 Engines" or
> "The Rover V8 Engine", or both, and why?

-jason

Jason Clark
gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu
'80 TR8