Dots on big end bearing caps.

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Dots on big end bearing caps.
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@au.oracle.com>
Date: 11 Oct 99 10:18:38 +1000

Hello All,

I dropped the sump on my 3.5 rover v8 on the weekend to investigate an under
load thumping.  I suspected a conrod bearing or main bearing cap.   I
checked a couple of the big end bearings and found them to look like new.  I
chekced all of the main bearing cap bolts and they were all torqued up
pretty tight. most of the conrods had a little sideways movement, but none
of them would give any twist.    I guess if a condrod or main bearing was
worn sufficicently to give a heavy thump under load at abotu 2000rpm it
would be very obvious.

I noticed some dot punches on the conrod caps.  Some caps had two some had
three dots.  I think most of them pointed to the front of the engine.
Are these dots ok to assemble the caps by,  ie line them up to the front of
the engine.  Do they signify something??

Thanks for any info.

Regards
Stuart