Re: Manuals

To: "sandm" <sandm@eisa.net.au>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manuals
From: "Curt and Amy" <amy_curt@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:01:13 -0700
Simon, Lar...et al.
As to the manuals, I can help very little except that the "Tuning the Rover
V-8" is a very good source book.

The Datsun/Subaru diff conversion in a Spitfire or GT6 I know just a bit
more.  The Datsun 510 (don't know what they were called down under) has a
R160 diff in it, with the exception of the 510 wagon and the Roadster, that
both had a live axle.  The R160 is smaller in dimensions than the 240Z R180
or 280Z R200.

 The diff out of Subaru full size autos is the same as the the R160, and the
have offered limited slip clutch packs (earlier cars) and viscous LSD (later
ones).  One would have to swap stub axles from the 510 to use the Subaru
diff with U-joints, as the Subs use CV joints.\

I have a Spitfire that has a Rotary 13b sitting in it as of now, not
running, but on it's was as a conversion goes.  I am planning to use the Sub
diff and CV joints.

I also have a GT6 that I will drop a P6B 3500 and TR7 5 speed into.  I plan
on using a Datsun R200 diff.... if the R160 would handle the extra
torque......hmmmm....

My 62 Bucik Skylark is getting a 64 300 Bucik later this month, the
machinist is turning the crank now.  It was a four speed car, and I am
putting a TH350 behind the 300.   This engine (as all of you surely know)
had the alloy heads and intake to keep weight down.

**I had an extra set of alloy 300 heads but I traded them for something or
another,  can't remember ;0) ***  Can you help me  on this one Simon?

There is a fellow in New Zealand or Austrailia that has a R160 (510) diff
mock up on a Spit frame.  I have seen pictures.  Would like more info if it
is out there.

Good luck!
Curtis the Yank.