Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:30:29 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Kinderlehrer"
>A V-8 is likely to have more compression or resistance to turning over.  I
only say this because I can easily turn my 4 banger over with the fan, but
find it somewhat more difficult to the same with a V-8.  But, assuming this
hypothesis to be true, then if at any given speed one where take ones foot
off the accelerator as would be common when trying to stop, and one were
not
to step on the clutch until just before actually coming to a stop, which is
my common practice, isn't it yours? Then wouldn't the compression of the
V-8
do more to slow the vehicle than a 4 cylinder?
<

I love it!  OK, OK.  The V8 has a wider profile.  It therefore imposes a
bigger resistance to the cooling air passing through the grill.  This
increase wind resistance will also help to slow down the car.

Seriously, Bob, if you kept the same gearing, yes it will.  However,
typically, a motor conversion includes a different set of differential
gears (if not a complete new rear end).  This means the bigger engine is
turning more slowly.  You can always down shift, but you can do that with
the smaller engine, too.

Bottom line: too many variables here.

OK compromise position here:  Bigger bumpers!

Dave  ;-)