Re: TR3 V8 conversion

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 conversion
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:12:25 +0100
Dan Masters wrote:

> No brake improvements are
required
> to account for the extra power. If the brakes are adequate to stop
the car
> from all reasonable speeds now, they will be adequate to stop the
car from
> all reasonable speeds with the V8 installed. If the brakes are not
adequate
> now, then I have no business driving it as it is. The braking force
required
> to stop a car depends on only two things - weight and speed. The car
won't
> weigh more, and it will not be going any faster.

With due respect to Dan and other submissions on this thread to one
side, surely a conversion of this sort would be of the greatest
interest to the company currently / likely to be insuring this car?
To the insurer, installing a V8 will mean only one thing - greater
power, acceleration, higher top speed and all of it a lot sooner -
with the assumption such features will be used to the full?
Why would anyone want to install a V8 if it wasn't to 'better' the
car's performance?
To claim the car may be driven exactly as hitherto, will inevitably
attract peals of laughter and a refusal for cover. Well, it would in
the UK. Almost certainly the insurer would require comprehensive
details and might even send an 'engineer' to inspect the car for
visible proof in terms of braking improvement. If the so-called
engineer is anything like the greasy-haired, great unwashed, sniffing
and illiterate specimen of homo sapiens who came to inspect my humble
but effective anti-theft system a few months back, it could be a drawn
out and protracted affair.

Jonmac