Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:34:50 -0400
Michael writes...

Snip!
>The original remark by Dan was in essence that, all other things being
>equal, without a change in mass, without a change in braking power,
>deceleration will not change. This is true. If the mass is unchanged,
>and braking force is unchanged, then the rate of deceleration is
>unchanged. End. Finito. Period. Absolutomente. That's simple physics and
>mathematics, based upon the _absolutely_ same formula used to calculate
>force on acceleration, which is the basis of the original disputes
>asserting required changes in deceleration because more power is
>available for acceleration. The mistake of others here has been to
>incorrectly assume that rates of deceleration must linearly follow rates
>of acceleration.
>
>Argue at your peril. <big smile>
>
>Cheers, all.

ISTR this topic raised years ago on the british-cars list.  The
question came up because the MGBV8 conversions were fitted with
upgraded brakes even though the vehicle weight went *down*.

The consensus then was that the V8 version would almost certainly be
braking from a higher average speeds and larger brakes would be
beneficial.  If a TR6/6 and TR6/V8 were competing in an autocross I'd
imagine the V8 brakes would need to scrub off more speed at each turn
and the brakes would need to dissipate more heat.

Perhaps I've got this all wrong but it sounded plausible at the time.
:-)

Still...gotta agree that if Dyno Dan can lay off the hot foot then
there should be no issues.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley
P.S.  Geesh Dan, finish that thing, will ya!? <grin>