Re: TR3 V8 Conversion

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>, <DANMAS@aol.com>, <greenman62@hotmail.com>, <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 V8 Conversion
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:39:00 -0500
>if you're going the same speed in a car that
>weighs 2000lb, and then install a V8 and retain the same weight and drive
>the same speed; then you will not need any brake improvements.

>the V8 does provide you with extra power
>and torque and you will then reach said speed more quickly than in a stock
>powered car.  The quickness is related to acceleration and the quicker you
>able to accelerate the more force your car is carrying and the more braking
>force is required to stop it.

Nonsense.  The important metric is the instantaneous velocity, not any
velocity which preceded it.

The attitude of the car will be a factor on how the suspension and brakes
react, and acceleration will affect that.  But the idea that you accelerated
more quickly to arrive at a given velocity somehow invests a car at that
velocity with more force is simply wrong.

Of course, if you drive at a higher velocity, or brake more often from the
same velocity, you will be working the brakes harder.

In any case, I'd prefer a car with a lighter engine, not a heavier one.
Total mass is important, and moving the center of mass rearward rather than
forward is even more important to handling.  I realize this is not the only
reason, but my TR is not in a league with my Lotus in handling.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher