Re: $21,500 TR6 at auction

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: $21,500 TR6 at auction
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 19:53:53 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this (I'm on the digest),
but if a TR6 sold at auction for $21,500, it's very likely that the bidding
was fierce enough to drive the price to that level.  It might have been a
bidding war between two people, but it's more likely that several were
involved at least into the upper teens.  Without further information, the
single fool theory wouldn't seem to hold up.

The whole TR series is bound to increase in value.  TR3's are selling for
what MG TD's used to sell for (although that's partly because TD's have
come down a bit).  People are discovering that Triumphs are wonderful
driver's cars.  The TR6, being a later model, will take a while to catch up
to the value of the TR3.  But inevitably it will.  The TR6 is the smoothest
TR.  It has the best ride, and is the most appreciated on long country
drives.  The TR6, and the later TR4s, also have the real wood dash, and
that's an aesthetic detail that shouldn't be underestimated, since that
touch of "olde world charm" is rare and will likely never happen again.
The TR4, 4A, 250, and more modern-looking 6 will soon be looked upon
in the same light as the TR3---as part of a unique, bygone era when
motoring was a joy and most sports cars were Made in England.

Phil Haldeman