RE: $21,500 TR6 at auction

To: "'Beth & Ken'" <bethken@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: $21,500 TR6 at auction
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:45:07 -0600

And Ken Shapiro wrote:

> Nah...it sets a new high for stupidity.

So who's the "stupid" one? The guy who may have spent $40k on a
"professional" restoration, drove the car around the block and got tired of
it (or--worse--spent $15k on new parts and invested five years of his life
in the restoration)? Or the guy who had more money than time and now owns a
(presumably) near-perfect TR6 for the same cost as an average Healey?

It never ceases to amaze me when I see all the ads for our beloved LBCs that
include the line "Only 100 miles since complete frame up restoration to
concours standards" (or suchlike). What was the point of restoring it if
you're not going to enjoy it when it's done?

Not too long ago, there was an ad in Hemmings for a TR4 that had something
like 50 miles on it. Total. Never driven since it was delivered. Asking
price in the "high twenties". My guess is that the car never sees mile
number 51.

Not a flame . . . just curious.

Jim Hill
Madison WI