Oil pressure Blues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil pressure Blues
From: SpeedSites@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 23:58:34 EDT
Well, the new TR had to let me know that it was alive and British. Perhaps
someone will recognize these symptoms:

Upon starting, oil pressure is about 70-80 lbs.

Running about 15-20 mins drops to about 50.

Running another 10 mins or more drops to 20!

All figures are at about 3000 rpm. At idle, pressure is avg of 20-40 when
warm. Temp usually maxes at about 1/2.

Driving conditions: warm LA weather (about 85 deg).

Compression is good in all cyls (110-120) except #5, which is at about 65
lbs. Previous owner claims entire engine was rebuilt about 12k ago, and head
was done again since then due to faulty gasket (says that a "late 1969"
gasket was used, then when leaking was replaced by an "early 69" gasket).

Am I looking at an oil pump rebuild, or worse? The guage seems to work, at
least it will run the range up to 90 lbs. Sometimes the drop in pressure
takes longer than others.

Any thoughts appreciated. Feel free to reply off-list, if this question is
asked often.

Thanks a million-

Rod pyle
69 TR6