Re: Oil pressure Blues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil pressure Blues
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 07:52:20 GMT
On 4 Aug 1999, Frank de Kat wrote:

> You could check the amount of wear in the upper rocker area. That area is
> notorious for wearing out (And flowing more oil than it should).

No.

As long as you don't have the (in)famous external feed, the amount of oil
reaching the rockers is *metered*, so that the amount of oil going there
does not depend on the amount of wear.

> Probabaly your problem is a combination of a tired oil pump, and worn
> rockers.

As mentioned, worn rockers doesn't matter. Assuming the oil itself is new
20W/50, I would offer the following prioritized list of probable causes:

        1. Worn crank and conrod bearings.
        2. Worn camshaft bearings. (Very often overlooked).
        3. Worn oil pump.
        4. Problems with oil pressure adjuster.

The symptoms described might rule out 4. And if he only has the mild,
standard cam, number 2 on the list might be placed at priority 3.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway