Re: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:53:08 -0500
Bob Lang wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 1999 Rengrave@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I just received my Main & Rod Bearings in the mail today, AE Glacier brand.
> > The interior surface is silver not copper colored, does this mean that
> > Aluminum is the material?, are these good bearings?
>
> Yep - that's pretty much what I've got for the last two rebuilds. They
> seem to hold up okay - one set of mains had no wear after 15k miles or so..
>
> The bearing contact surface is silver-ish/grey-ish. I'm not sure what the
> material is, but it certainly not pure aluminium.

The silver-gray material is usually some alloy of lead, tin, and other more
"exotic"
metals.  It is very soft, and is designed to allow particulates to "bed" into it
rather than chew up the crank journal.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars