Re: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Pump for TR6 and Vandervell...
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 14:11:58 -0500

> > > Bob Lang replied:

>the
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Power British Performance Parts, Inc. wrote:
> >
> > > The silver-gray material is usually some alloy of lead, tin, and other
>more "exotic"
> > > metals.  It is very soft, and is designed to allow particulates to "bed"
>into it
> > > rather than chew up the crank journal.
> >
> > Is that was is referred to as "Indium"?
> >
> > --Andy
> >
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> > *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> > * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> > * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

The lead-indium alloy is sort of what made Vandervell "famous".  There are also
quite a few
other alloys as well as different layering techniques for bearing construction.

Nowadays, metalurgy and manufacturing have improved so much, bearings last
almost forever, and
there is very little difference in similarly priced brands.