Re: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens

To: Bob Danielson <75trsix@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:15:34 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,
It really doesn't matter which side of the coin you look at, there are
prudes on both sides.  On one hand you have the people who spend
thousands more on their cars than they ever hope to be able to recover
and trailer them to events in order not to damage their investment and
spend every waking hour polishing it. Those are the people who tend to
wonder why anyone would possible add a Crane electronic ignition to
their car.

On the flip side are those who don't care anything about "concours" and
probably couldn't even spell it if asked to.  These are the people who
spend too much money trying to improve on a good (or maybe not so good)
design in hopes of enhance reliability, comfort or performance.  They
can't understand how somebody could spend all that money on a car that
they don't drive.

Then there are all the rest of us who spend too much money on the cars
that we love simply because we love them.  We offer up all kinds of
rationale for the money we spend, trying in vain to convince somebody
(often ourselves) that we are justified in doing so.  But we keep on
doing it because that's the way we are.

There is no judging system that covers all circumstances, so the best we
can hope for is having a combination of both.  I am in favor of
splitting concours from people's choice voting (you can't enter a car in
both) and having classes for each model (where there are enough entrants
to do so).

While there are a number of valid reasons for trailering a car to an
event (most prominently distance and car size); in order to compete in
people's choice voting, it should be demonstrated that the purpose of
trailering the car is NOT to keep it in pristine condition.  Such proof
could be the entry of the car in an autocross or some other event that
says "this is no trailer queen".

But in my opinion, while we will always have those highly pampered cars
around, these cars are made to be driven.  If you don't drive them, you
are missing at least half the fun of Triumph ownership.

Regards,
Joe

P.S. I'd be willing to bet that most people who own Triumphs could not
tell what is and is not modified on any model other than the one they
drive.

--
  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer