RE: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens

To: "'Gregory Petrolati'" <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: RE: Judging "New" Triumphs, was Trailer Queens
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:35:25 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Greg Petrolati wrote:

>       Gee, This is beginning to sound a bit like some vintage racers...

Exactly!

>       It seems to me that "the drivers" are made to feel almost as a
>       "second class citizen" group as compared those concours cars.

I know what you mean, but there are always going to be folks who think that
the biggest prize should go to the unrestricted class, the unlimited class,
the class where the most time and money are spent. When you start talking
about covered, air-conditioned trailers that cost more than most of us have
invested in the car, you know why the concours cars get the most attention.

To me, showing a "perfect" car that I don't drive would be like hauling a
2500 pound boulder around in a trailer, but that's just my view. I think the
concours folks perform a valuable service in researching, documenting and
recreating the history of our cars, and it's nice to see what these cars
looked like when they were showroom fresh, but it's not my cup of tea.

I drove my TR4 race car to the track in the 60's, and would do the same now
if it weren't for the risk of not having a ride home if something breaks.
Although I trailered my TR6 race car to the VTR convention in Hudson, I
drove it around at every opportunity - including the autocross and a couple
of trips to downtown taverns.

But there's no reason to feel like a second class citizen just because you
want to drive your car as God and the British Motor Industry intended.
There's more of "us" than there are of "them" - and we're having a lot more
fun!

Jim Hill
Amici Triumphi
Madison WI