Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>,
Subject: Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs
From: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:41:43 -0400
Hi Doug,
Wilf has a great collections of all kinds of all kinds of parts, the fan cost
us nothing, it's still installed and working fine. It's on a switch. I'll
switch it on when I think I need it. Otherwise, the mechanical one is doing
it's job. The electric fan was installed for a test, we may or may not keep it.

Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:

> I hope you can get your money back on the fan.
> This is why I am always nagging people to diagnose problems
> fully before replacing or adding expensive components.
>
> Note:  The Hyundai temp gauge may be designed to
> work with a sender with different characteristics than the Spit's
> sender.  But your thermometer probably didn't lie.

The sender we use in the Spit is an original Hyunday sender. It's identical to
the Triumph one. When we tested the temperature, we used to use three different
sending units for comparison. They all read the same thing.

> If your gas gauge works, I doubt the voltage regulator is busted.
> A new temp sender is $6.99 (from SpitBits).  It's so cheap, you should
> just order a new one, or see of the local parts store can get one.

The gas gauge also shows to high a reading, I'm therefore pretty sure that the
voltage stabelizer is not working properly.

> BTW, my '72 has a well-maintained but original radiator,
> the stock thermostat and fan, a 7 lb. radiator cap, and no oil cooler.
> It runs with temperature almost always at the 50% level.
> If I am stuck in traffic on a 90-degree day, it rises to about 75%.
> It NEVER overheats.
>
> A MK III with even less pollution stuff should be able to do at least
> as well.

Let's hope, when we get everything sorted out, ours will run just as great.
Thanks for all the help.
Liv