Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs

To: gjdurham@juno.com, "spitfires@autox" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs
From: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:01:17 -0400
Hello spitters,
as I was the one starting this threat, and I have been back and forth
discussing this with Gary, who's BTW helped me greatly in analyzing my
problems. I want to let the list know, what answers Wilf and I have came up
with, during several days of testing.

The problem showed up when, a few weeks ago, we started to drive our newly
restored 67 Spit. The temp.was sitting on a 80 to 85 % level, with the
thermostat removed, every time I drove the spit, sometimes crawling up to the
red when I had her running at 4500 rpm on a rather cool Canadian day.
As I'm a novice, I have a lot of learning going on at the moment. The list gave
us a lot of valuable info, we therefore started testing.
We installed an electric pusher fan, besides the mechanical, which did bring
the temperature down to some degree, or so it seemed. Still, the Spit was
running much too high.
Before we wanted to remove the rad for re-boring, as suggested by several
people, we flushed the rad. This didn't seem to improve the situation. Next
thing was to test the sensor unit. No problem here. The test of the coolant,
however, gave us a surprise, as it only showed a tem. of 155 F.  Hello???? This
is where "our red light" came on.
We decided to test the functioning of the voltage stabilizer, as Jeff Mc. Neill
had suggested to me. We pulled up our reliable Hyundai, connected the
temperature sensor of the Spit to the temperature gauge of the Hyundai. We were
now able to correctly read the temperature of the Spitfire on the Hyundai
gauge. She ran at about 55% at about 3500 rpm, increasing to 60 -65 % at  4000
rpm. That looks pretty decent to me.  We didn't test any higher.
Well, I think, we found our problem. A new voltage stabilizer is already on
order.
This still leaves us to question the condition of the old original rad. I think
I'll have it checked.
Gary mentioned the effectiveness of the two fans, one maybe interfering with
the air flow of the other, since we, at this time, have no shrouds in place.
Thanks to Neil Penberthey [welcome to the list of nutties btw], for bringing up
the oil cooler. It's something I wasn't aware of, and it's something I will
certainly look into. Living in the great white North, we don't often have to
deal with extremely hot weather conditions. But, on occasion, we get a "blast
of heat" during the summer month.. It would be of interest to hear from
Northerners regarding this subject.

Thanks Gary and all the other people who kindly helped me out.
Now on to the stirring problem, which is also giving me head aches. Oh, this
wonderful job NEVER STOPS,  and.........
I'm just loving it.....
Liv Haasper
CCC
addicted, me thinks.......