Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs

To: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>, gjdurham@juno.com,
Subject: Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:18:49 -0400
I hope you can get your money back on the fan.
This is why I am always nagging people to diagnose problems
fully before replacing or adding expensive components.

Note:  The Hyundai temp gauge may be designed to
work with a sender with different characteristics than the Spit's
sender.  But your thermometer probably didn't lie.

If your gas gauge works, I doubt the voltage regulator is busted.
A new temp sender is $6.99 (from SpitBits).  It's so cheap, you should
just order a new one, or see of the local parts store can get one.

BTW, my '72 has a well-maintained but original radiator,
the stock thermostat and fan, a 7 lb. radiator cap, and no oil cooler.
It runs with temperature almost always at the 50% level.
If I am stuck in traffic on a 90-degree day, it rises to about 75%.
It NEVER overheats.

A MK III with even less pollution stuff should be able to do at least
as well.

Good luck,

Doug Braun
'72 Spit