Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:23:36 +0100
In article <LAW2-F12js5FGJziWwS00001191@hotmail.com>, George P.
<ygpz4re@hotmail.com> writes
>Hi list,
>
>Well, I'm still waiting to get my '78 1500 inspected so I can drive/tune it
>legally.  In the meantime, here's a few questions, some related to other
>posts:
>
>Temps:  My temp guage is marked like the fuel guage, with 5 marks which I'll
>call 0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1.  It seems to be running at about the 3/4 mark.
>Another post thought this wasn't too bad, but it's been in the 50's/60's
>here when I've driven it and I have two electric puller fans,
>thermostatically controlled (they're working correctly).

I saw that other post, and was astonished by it.   Carly has the stock
radiator, no oil cooler, no electric fans, and typically the temperature
gauge sits around 1/4 in the winter, and just below 1/2 in the summer -
ever since I got my rad flushed, and a new thermostat, that is...

>  Admittedly, I
>haven't rechecked the coolant level yet, though the last time I rechecked
>it, it was topped off.  I plan to turn on the heater to be sure the coolant
>is circulated through the heater core and see if that lowers the level at
>all.  Also plan to check the thermostat.  Anything else (radiator was
>recently pressure cleaned/tested)?

Thermostat seems the most likely culprit to me.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"