Re:Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs

To: OC@46thFoot.com
Subject: Re:Re: Temperatures, oil pressure, and springs
From: gjdurham@juno.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:50:31 GMT
Hi, George (& Mike):

The 'other post' re the running temperature of a Spit was probably me.  It
would be helpful to you perhaps (?), as with anyone else, if things were kept
in context... kind of 'thought through', if you will (no offense or 'slight'
intended, here).  I made a reference to the FACT that a Spitfire is factory
built to run NORMAL temperature reading at the 3/4 mark of the guage.  This is
nothing to be astonished about, unless of course you're relatively new to
Spits, and especially if you've NEVER READ THE MANUAL (i.e. done the
'homework', instead relying on just asking people, much like just asking
questions of this list all the time, rather than at least TRYING to look it
up/solve yourself before asking for advise).

During this time of the season, my stock Spit runs about 1/4, possibly 3/8 max,
presumably (by me) much like everyone else's.  If you re-read my original post
(I don't save anything, sorry) I'm sure I probably mentioned that in very hot,
humid summer temperatures, the car will run about 75-80% of the guage towards
hot.  Per the factory manual (and well over twenty years personal experience),
this is not something that has ever been of any concern to me (well, it was
when I was a young kid, still wet behind the ears ;-)  I also probably
mentioned that, on those high humidity and high temperature days, that the
guage would read so high as to... "scare the be-Jesus out of you" (at least I
think I said that).

Personally, I have a theory that this may be one reason why there's been such a
sudden prevalency in the purchasing of oil coolers, electric fans, etc., as
some people don't understand it's normal at that reading.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's a pretty much self taught 'common sense' thing.
Driving style, autocross, rally, geographical location, and a million more
reasons.  One example is the gentleman from England who recently stated that he
added an oil cooler as he's living in Texas.  Well, good GOD, man, SO WOULD I!
Texas is pretty damned hot and humid, eh, compared to the midlands of England?

There's NOTHING wrong with any individual wanting/desiring to add electronic
cooling fans (hey, they ARE more efficient!) to their Spit, or adding an oil
cooler (hey, they WORK!), to their car.  Whether the car needs it or not, it's
OK if someone wants these upgrades (again, people, please don't get me wrong...
I'm sure that everyone who HAS upgraded did so correctly, and for justifiable
reasons, OK?)

What I had hoped to convey, was that the radiator should be completely and
INCONTROVERTIBLY ruled the 'culprit' prior to just arbitrarily 'upgrading'
it... certainly all might see the sense/logic in this?  Anyway, I also pointed
out... and this is of paramount importance... that a 75-80% reading on the temp
guage in 45F weather IS cause for concern (or words to that effect), ESPECIALLY
with two (2) fans being utilized.

There are a million factors that can contribute to an engine running hot.  I,
personally, live in a cooler climate (Wisconsin... DAMNED COLD in winter!), and
deliberatly have my Spit run hotter in winter (even 'tho the guages read lower
due to the ambient air temperature flowing through the radiator), then adjust
it accordingly in the spring.  Why?  Hey, even a trickle of mildly warm air is
appreciated when it's -15F, with a -65F wind chill (yes, I said -65F windchill)

Anyway, my entire point (or at least one point) is to take comments from a
lister such as myself as a 'generalization' rather than a rule, unless talking
specific 'specs (i.e. engine clearances).  If you're in Florida, for example, I
have no way of completely ascertaining a 'perfect answer' for you, and
vice-versa (indeed, in some respects/topics, be wary of those who CAN offer
perfect advise from thousands of miles away, sight unseen from your specific
vehicular problems).

Again, I'm sure you've read your manuals both forward and backwards many
times... much as most of us have... but that's one heck of a lot to ask anyone
to memorize EVERYTHING.  If you go to it and look it up, I'm confident that
you'll have no problem finding that 3/4, or even a bit hotter, is normal,
especially in very hot and humid conditions (and then especially if stuck in
stopped rush hour traffic as your car over-heats!).  This info is info that
Triumph provided years ago... not 'word of mouth'... or speculation because
modern cars only run at the 1/2 range on their guages.  There's a million
differing factors.  Obviously.  Different model Spitfire?  Different Mk?
Different year with subsequently an entirely different radiator?  Different
thermostat range? etc.

So, hope this may be of some help, and REALLY hope it doesn't come across in
anything like a 'lecture' mode.  Anyway, if everything is operational, and in
normal conditions, don't feel astonished if your reading is above the 1/2 way
mark later this summer.

Best wishes,

Gary