Re: Bodywork

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:58:44 -0500
Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:

> In article <3C6686DC.9CF0CA09@sympatico.ca>, Livia I. Haasper
> <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca> writes
> >Hi Michael,
> >
> >Windscreen frame:
> I   The rust is only visible on the flat
> metal flanges that stick out from the pillars.

Assessments are hard to judge without seeing the vehicle. Here in Canada, due to
salt conditions during the winter, we have a lot of rust problems. This may be
different in the UK. What you are describing sound like a case of surface rust.
If this is the case, a clean-up should be sufficient. You can sand off the rusty
areas [ maybe wire brushing or sandblasting], then primer and paint.

> I appreciate the advice.   I suppose I knew in my heart of hearts that
> the only effective way to check for rust is to completely strip the
> suspect area back to bare metal.

> Agreed, this should give you an honest idea of what you're dealing with.

> > Rust removal can be
> >done by sand blasting or, as mentioned earlier by other listers, with
> >rust converter. If there is rust perforation, we would advise, to
> >remove the whole windscreen frame and have metal welded into the area.
> >You can do the finishing yourself.
>
> <gulp>   OK.   I hadn't really psyched myself up for that amount of
> work.

I guess we solved that problem since you now don't have to remove the wind
screen.

> >I think I see.   What you're saying is that I have been deluding myself
> by thinking that even the best aluminium-and-filler job is anything
> other than a temporary bodge.   Now that you mention it, it does make me
> feel better about the poor results I have achieved with filler in the
> past. <g>

It's just a short cut, it will not stand up over time.

> As far as the wheel arches are concerned, at least the first inch or two
> on either side is filler and aluminium mesh.   Sounds like new wings.

If you only have a few inches of filler and mesh, you may get away with a good
clean up of the previous body work and have a small replacement panel welded in.
It all depends on the extend of the damage.

> That's an unexpected bit of good news.   It even sounds relatively
> cheap. :-)

Ha, nothing is cheap when it comes to this kind of work. But you may not have
any
other choice. You can't do it all by yourself, but if you have a good dry day,
which may be difficult at this time of the year, you can do certain things. As
Tom O'Malley said, working outside with bare metals and body fillers can be a
real problem.

Bonnet:
To fabricate and replace the leading edge of the bonnet is more difficult then a
replacement panel on the door skin, but it can be done, and it should be cheaper
than replacing the whole thing.You might need help with that, it's not easy.

Good luck with the project.
Wilf and Liv