Re: Bodywork

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: "Livia I. Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:42:36 -0500
Hi Michael,
We'll try to answer your questions as best as we can from here.
After reading this thread, we have a better idea of the condition of the car.
They most important, and most costly repairs, are already done.

Windscreen frame:
Since most of the rust occurs beneath the windscreen seal, it would be
necessary to
remove the wind screen for repairs. This way you'll be able to assess the damage
and work on the problem. Rust removal can be done by sand blasting or, as
mentioned
earlier by other listers, with rust converter. If there is rust perforation, we
would advise, to remove the whole windscreen frame and have metal welded into
the
area.
You can do the finishing yourself.

Any rust perforation should be repaired by welding metal sections into the
panel,
or replacement of the panel, if the rust is too much advanced. Any covering
fix- up
with aluminum tape or fiber glass, is only a compromise and not recommended.
It will make repairs in the future more difficult.

Rear wings:
Replacing the wheel arches, if done properly, may be sufficient, but it's a time
consuming procedure and therefore almost as expensive as replacing the whole
wing
(quarter panel). It all depends on how much rust perforation there really is. If
most of it is surface rust, and only a few inches are perforated, a repair
panel of
a few inches would be acceptable.

Doors:
Spitfire door skins are simple panels. A panel beater should be able to
fabricate a
replacement panel for the lower section and weld the metal in for you. You can
then
do the finishing yourself.

Any more questions, just fire away. We'll try to help, if we can.
Wilf and Liv