Re: Bodywork

To: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:45:56 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Tom O'Malley <tomomalley@meganet.net>

> Consider buying Practical Classics Spitfire Restoration Guide.  Even
> if you farm out the work you'll have a good idea what's involved.  PC
> has a notorious reputation for selecting cars that no longer cast a
> shadow.  *Anything* that can rust on a Spit is covered.

I well rmember about 5 or 6 years ago, the then current Practical Classics
"project" Spitfire was brought along to the TSSC International Weekend as a
work in progress. Most of the bodywork was by this time complete, with the
sills fully finished and closing plates welded to the bulkhead. The metalwork
above these plates had been sandblasted (as had much of the shell) and there
was quite substantial perforation of the bulkhead front face, just above the
seams where the closing plates joined. I still can't imagine any way of doing a
correct repair in this area without undoing the newly completed repairs at the
sill ends. It's always made me wonder about the quality of that rebuild - not
one I would personally use as an example!
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics