Re: Bodywork

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:54:38 +0000
In article <hgcd6u87sfsp03atg3kppcfugtnbkvkkfc@4ax.com>, Tom O'Malley
<tomomalley@meganet.net> writes
>Michael writes:
>
>>That was my feeling.   I certainly haven't the facilities to replace
>>panels (and have never welded in my life), but I was wondering whether I
>>ought to tackle some of the smaller jobs - the windscreen frame, for
>>example.   Basically, those places that have rusted, but not rusted
>>away.
>
>What will work against you is not having the car indoors.

Sadly, when my house was built, the idea of the car hadn't really begun
to take off, so the architect didn't think of designing in a garage. :-(

>  Bodywork
>tends to be a long, drawn out series of steps and the repairs don't
>like being subjected to moisture in the process.  Paints and primers
>can do odd things if subjected to dew or frost before they've fully
>flashed.  Bare metal will of course, rust again. I'd say you can do
>some of the minor repairs if you can schedule your work (and the
>English weather).  :-)

Schedule the English weather??   Well, it's easy enough to schedule
*rain*, but dry, sunny days?   I don't think so.

>Learning to weld is quite worthwhile,  IMHO, but it's also quite
>destructive to the cars paint protection during the process.   Both
>inside and out.  And mig welding requires an inert gas that will blow
>away with each gust of wind.  This can get pretty frustrating.  :-)

I've always had this problem with cellulose spray paints.   They tell
you to use them in a "well-ventilated area, preferably outdoors" - but
if you do, 98% of the paint blows away before it reaches the panel
you're painting.   If you move the can closer to the panel, you don't
lose so much, but the paint treacles like crazy, and you have to strip
it off and start again.   As I said, I'm not very good at bodywork...

>I'd say hold off on any welding until you can get the car under cover.

My mother's house is even older than mine, but they dug out part of the
cellar to make a garage back in the 1920s, so when I inherit, my
inheritance will include a garage.   I hope that will be a fair few
years away, though!

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"