first drive

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: first drive
From: WRROOPE@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:32:33 EST
Well, the weather and my health finally worked together today. Here in upper
east tenn it was a beautiful day and I made up my mind to drive my 76 spit
for the first time. First I had to replace a rear brake drum (dpo busted and
didn't bother to tell me), and removed the thermostat as ever time I started
it, it would over heat (according to the gauge), and replaced a bad hose
clamp on the fuel line. The idle was way too high-1000-2000 rpm-would adjust
down but wanted to bog down and then idle back up. I'm going to drive it
anyway....Got to! Trans tunnel off, seat not bolted down, no top, brakes not
the best but semi working off I went. Just a short mile ride but it did go
and didn't stutter. What a feeling that my $600.00 ride is a winner. I've got
a lot of work to do but I GOT TO DRIVE IT!
Now for a couple of questions. What is causing it to run on the hot side even
without the thermostat? the gauge was at about 3/4s the way up. What is the
first thing I should look for and is it normal that 1/3 of the fan is above
the fins on the radiator?
The carb seems to be set fairly good as it has a smooth idle and felt
responsive on my short drive. What do I need to look for on it to get the
idle down? And one final question, How do you use the overdrive, as in how do
you engage it and how much difference should you feel? I've never had one
with over drive and I didn't try it because I don't know what I'm doing.
Little history; 76 spit, 1500, supposedly rebuilt about 10 years ago and left
on blocks, new clutch, fuel pump, water pump, paint and interior and even new
10 year old tires.