Re: thanks! & K&N Filters

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: thanks! & K&N Filters
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:58:21 -0400
Nolan Penney wrote:
> An oiled gauze filter on the other hand counts on impingment.
> The air travels through the cloth weave, twisting and turning
> a bit to get around the individual fibers.  The particles on the
> other hand, don't make the turn and get stuck in the oil.

  A nice story, but I caution strongly against using
"thought and reason" to justify what you really hope to
be true.

  Your story sounds nice, but in a way could even be
used to justify the horrible wire-gauze air filters
from older cars like TR3s. Eeeesh!

  I'm more interested in results from impartial data...

  ...anyone I know who did an oil analysis before and after
installing K&Ns was sorely disappointed and a little
scared. I know there are a lot of airplane-types on the
list who are pretty familiar with oil analysis and how
useful the results can be.

  Again, if you do 2000 miles a year from your Spit
it might never matter, maybe the performance gain
is worth it to you. It's a decision you have to make.

  Curious, what claims do K&N themselves make? I know
they talk a lot about the million-mile warranty but
that only really promises the filter will be around
that long, even if it outlives a dozen engines.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca