Re: thanks! & K&N Filters

To: James Carruthers <jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: thanks! & K&N Filters
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:45:12 -0400
James Carruthers wrote:
> My question is - is it worth replacing the standard ones with the K&N ones?

  Most people seem to get a few more HP out of them... but...

> They always seem to advertised as a plus point when I was looking at the
> classifieds.

  ...that's the other problem. Since they are so easy to install,
just about everybody sees the ads, bolts them up, and the placebo
effect takes over.

  Dyno-wise, you might see a gain. You'll probably have to
use slightly leaner needles to get the tuning "on the money".

  Filtration-wise, accept that you are giving up quite a
lot of filtration compared to disposable paper, and the situation
gets worse if you don't clean and oil them regularily.

  If you don't expect to do a lot of miles on your
spit engine, it might never affect you, but expect your
rebuild intervals to be shorter. Some people compensate
by changing the oil more often and having a periodic
oil analysis (can be done by mail easily).

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca