Manifold gasket problems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold gasket problems
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 16:58:08 -0400
Hello all,

I had to have a new exhaust header (4-1 style from Moss, but the same as
was on previously) put on Freddy the mongrel Spit this past summer. Ever
since, I have had manifold gasket problems. The gaskets I have used this
year have been from Moss, and are the thin "paper" coated variety - they
are blowing out and leaking in short order. One blew out immediately after
installation, the other took a couple months. The gasket that was with the
original header was a thick solid metal (copper?) gasket. My mechanic who
replaced the header threw it away, unfortunately. Anyone have a source for
a similar gasket?

This is on a 69 1296 dual SU engine, if it makes a difference.

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, Maine