Re: Paint and brake fluid

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint and brake fluid
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:33:48 -0700 (PDT)
There are lots of resources on Triumph web sites
regarding the use of Silicone brake fluid. I've been
tempted to use it in the past, but can't come to grips
with the disadvantages.

Even though it does not damage paint. It is however:

- Not usable with DOT3 or LMA fluid (which is why all
of the elements of the system should be removed
preferably and flushed well with denatured alcohol.)
- Not carried by all auto parts places, which can be
problematic if you get a leak during a drive and try
to limp to the nearest auto parts place/garage for a
top off. (Though I have seen it being carried by more
and more places!)
- It's not hydroscopic, and humidity tends to "puddle"
in the lines and cylinders which can promote rust in
steel parts. I understand that this tends to be more
problematic in cars that sit for a long time.
- Twice the cost of LMA fluid.
- been stated by some that have made the switch from
LMA complain of a "softness" in the pedal.
- Does have a higher boiling point but heat
dissipation is not as good as the mineral based LMA.
So they're effectively about the same performance
wise. Though I understand that race enthusiasts prefer
the LMA, though this may be due to the "soft" pedal.

I have decided that when it's time to repaint the
firewall shelf that I will buy a piece of sheet
stainless steel or aluminum from the hardware store
and make myself a pan to sit under the master
cylinders (a 1/8" to 1/4" lip should be all that's
required for a slow leak). The only problem will be
sealing up the mounting holes with some gasket
material that won't allow fluid dripping into the pan
to leak beyond it. I figure, at worst, a dab of JB
weld will serve.

Does anyone know if black silicone adhesive, blue rtv,
ultra blue or copper rtv are impervious to LMA/mineral
fluid? (I was planning on putting a dab of each in old
contact lense storage cases and doing a little science
experiment.)

-Terry
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/