Re: Peru Pro

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Peru Pro
From: Alan Pozner <AlanP@identicard.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:02:16 -0400
Mark wrote in part:

>Sometimes you notice something that is a little bit wrong.  Not wrong
>enough that you shout out "no!" to the world, but very definately wrong
>enough that you mention it for future events.  This was one of those
>times.

First of all- standard disclaimer - I was not at the event and am only
hearing bits and pieces so my opinion may have no validity.

But... This is not the first time I have read about a safety incident at an
event where a number of people commented that they knew it might not be safe
but said nothing and ran anyway. I think that's wrong. I believe it is each
competitor's responsibility to VOCIFEROUSLY POINT OUT ANY SAFETY
VIOLATION/CONCERN. If 5 of the people who had doubts about the safety of the
course had said something I am sure the course designers would have made
appropriate changes.

How do I know? Because I was involved in just such a circumstance this year.
I went to a regional event outside my local region. I have been to events
hosted by that club before and they were safe. I knew several of the
organizers. When walking the course there was a section that had a chainlink
fence within 5 feet of the pylons on the inside of a gentle 30 degree off
camber turn. The odds were very low that anyone would come in contact with
the fence even if they really blew the turn. But I have ended up in unlikely
places at the end of off course excusions and felt the fence was entirely
too close and certainly against the course guidelines.

I found out who the safety steward was and explained the problem to him
politely and rationally. He did not agree with me. I explained to him that I
would not be competing if he did not make the course safe. He consulted with
the course designer and they finally agreed to change it. I do not know if
there would have been any incidents if the course had remained original. I
do know that after the change many people said they had been concerned and
were glad it was changed.

Several points - 1) Course designers and safety stewards are not infallible.
Just because you have not risen to those lofty ranks is no reason not to
trust your own judgement.
2) We are all afraid to speak out yet someone must if our sport is going to
continue to maintain its admirable safety record.
3) If you think something is unsafe rest assured that someone else thinks so
as well and they are just waiting for you to say so. They'll be happy to
follow a leader, any leader.
4) I hate politically correct crap as much as the next guy and this letter
borders on the nannyism that makes "politically correct" such an anethma.
But I would rather be a nanny in this case then be responsible (through my
silence) for a fellow competitor's accident.

Regards,
Alan Pozner