Re: National Tour points

To: RacerRay52@aol.com
Subject: Re: National Tour points
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 19:19:42 -0700
RacerRay52@aol.com wrote:

>      I have already told you what will happen. Someone in a given class will
> be the only one to run all the events because he is the only one with the
> free time and the travel money to do so.

Pro Solo has pretty well proven that premise false. With a points system
that makes running in, but not necessarily winning, the season finale
essential to win your class, I'm not aware of any class wins that were,
in effect, attendance awards.

> He will probably also have enough
> money to have a car that works in a class and all the tweaks that can be had
> to make it good.

Pretty much like the guys who win National Tour classes now, huh?
Exactly what's wrong with that?

> So even if he is a crummy driver he will be the only one to
> score points [or have a chance to score] in EVERY event.

Haven't run in too many Tours, have we? If points can only be earned by
finishing in a trophy position, and if the Solo II Nationals results are
weighted heavily enough, it's very unlikely that a "crummy driver" would
win the series.

>      Solo2 having a big time national image is a pipe dream.

Well, we agree on one thing at least. Image isn't everything, however.

>a half fast substitute for
> racing.

Nope. Lots of autoxers have the resources and the talent to do well in
racing, and they CHOOSE to autox out of a genuine preference for the
sport. OTOH, lots of competitive road racers aren't worth a damn at
autoxing. Different sports, different skill sets. I think I see where
you're coming from now. You object to the idea that Solo II has become a
competitive sport in its own right and has attracted some real talent as
a result, and therefore it's a whole lot harder (but not necessarily
more expensive) to win. All I can say is the bar will continue to be
raised, and it will take more effort, talent, and motivation to win as
time goes on. That's a Good Thing, IMHO.

Jay