Re: National Tour points

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: National Tour points
From: RacerRay52@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 00:39:49 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/99 10:38:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jemitchell@compuserve.com writes:

<<You have a low opinion of Solo
 II, yet you obviously spend a lot of time bitching about the elements in
 it that you don't like, almost as if you have a similarly low opinion of
 yourself.>>

     What kind of psuedo-psychoanalytical  horse manure [my wife wouldn't let
me use the "s" word]  is that? My opinion of solo2 is that it is a nice
little substitute for racing. Racing costs a heck of a lot of money and
solo2, if a bunch of wannabe racers would let it, could be a place for
cheapskates to compete without building or buying a pile of racer equipment--
including tires that have rubber that disappears rapidly. As it is solo is
getting expensive enough that you could spend a little more and race for
real. When I think of racing I am not just thinking of SCCA stuff. You can
stay close to home and run 20 lappers at the local oval for very little more
than it would take to compete in a national solo series. And without spending
huge amounts of traveling money to win a phony championship. My opinion of
myself is...well, modesty forbids that I come right out and say it. If my
ability as a driver is the question I would wait for those against whom I
have competed over the years to speak. If you can get them to speak.

R.E.
 <<You wouldn't have to run every event to win in any points system that is
 likely to ever be implemented, any more than you have to run every event
 to win your class in Pro Solo or in your local region.>>

    A series spread all over the country would be one that very few people
would actually be free to compete in for more than a few events. Very few.
You'd be getting a championship trophy for Being There.

R.E.

 <<I'm not really taking a position on the idea of a Tour points series
 myself, as it would have minimal effect on me. I can't see any harm in
 it, however.

     No harm at all. It wouldn't bother me a bit. Being a winner in it
wouldn't impress me either. Who cares whether I'm impressed? Who would it
impress? The Being There Championship.

Ray