Re: Radiators

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radiators
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 20:43:51 -0500
Well, I have to jump in here as the contratian. My 250 has an engine with
about 10K miles. It is in good shape as indicated by a leak-down test and
the way it runs.

Before last winter, it ran a bit over 1/3 on the temp gauge under normal
conditions and a bit over 1/2 while idling in really hot weather. After last
winter, the temp was running about 1/2 at speed and much hotter at idle.

What happened last winter? Why, a hotter cam and increased compression.

I tweaked the timing but could not get it to run in a comfortable range. The
solution was for me to get my radiator re-cored to a 4 row (I think stock
was 3 row). This helped a lot.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem. It seems that some of the
cars are fine with a stock rad and some need additional help.

Peter
'68 TR250